Local journalist and author Tom Koppel grew up in New York City. As a young writer, he happened on Salt Spring Island while travelling the west and, like so many other islanders, decided to stay. He found success writing for magazines about his new rural community and surrounding region.
Tom and his photographer wife have published many international travel articles from their years of exploration in places as remote as Antarctica, Fiji, Mongolia and Greenland. Tom has also written several books, though he remains a journalist at heart. “Every one of my books has evolved from a series of magazine articles,” he says.
More information about Tom Koppel is available here.
- Kanaka: The Untold Story of Hawaiian Pioneers in British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest (1995)
- Powering the Future: The Ballard Fuel Cell and the Race to Change the World (1999)
- Lost World: Rewriting Prehistory—How New Science is Tracing America’s Ice Age Mariners (2003)
- Ebb and Flow: Tides and Life on Our Once and Future Planet (2007)
- Mystery Islands: Discovering the Ancient Pacific (2012)