Our Library in Poetic Life – Call for Poems
About the Competition
This competition is to encourage Salt Spring Island poets to create a poem using the Salt Spring Island Public Library as a theme.
A Short List of 12 poets will be showcased at the Poetry Open Mic in the Library Program Room for the Library’s 60th Anniversary on Thursday, February 6th, 2020.
November 30, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
- Must be a Salt Spring Island resident
- One poem per poet
- Must be less than 1,000 words
- Must not include images with the poem
- Must be typed, not handwritten or a scan of a handwritten poem
- Must be new work and not previously published
- Must be the author’s own work
- Must use the theme “Library”
- The winner will receive a cash prize of $400, and the 2nd place winning prize is $200 cash.
- 10 Short List poets will receive their $10 entry fee back.
How to Enter
- Use the entry form at: https://form.jotform.com/91706856263262
- Enter your contact information
- Enter the poem’s title
- Upload your poem in the appropriate format (see below)
- Enter your biography (up to 150 words)
- Pay the $10 entry fee
- Click the Submit button
- Poems are to be submitted electronically in PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, TXT format.
- Font size should be 12 point.
- Font type should be an easily readable font such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica, or Calibri.
- Use single-spaced formats except when alternate spacing is a deliberate part of the layout.
- There will be a minimum of two judges.
- Judges will be divided up into teams of two (where possible)
- Poems entered will be divided randomly and evenly among each team.
- Both judges in each team will read every poem allocated to their team.
- Poems that are selected by both judges in a team will move to a “Long List”.
- Individually, all judges read each poem on the Long List and numerically evaluate it using a scale of 0-10 (decimals allowed).
- The average of the evaluation of each poem by all judges are averaged.
- If there are six or more judges, the high and low evaluations are ignored before the average is calculated from the remaining four.
- The top scoring poems move to the “Short List”.
- The judges then debate and decide which of the Short List poems becomes the winner.
- November 30, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. – Entry deadline.
- December 1, 2019 – Short List announced.
- February 6, 2020 (Thursday) at 7:00 p.m. – Poetry Open Mic in the library Program Room .
- Short List poets read their poems.
- Winner announced at the conclusion of the readings.
- February 22, 2020 (Saturday).
- Winning poets read poems at Library 60th Anniversary Celebration.