Salt Spring Island Public Library (SSIPL) is seeking a high school student for the position of Saturday Student. The student will work Saturdays throughout the school year from 9:30 – 5:00, and is responsible for an array of library operations. Must be returning to full time school on Salt Spring in the fall of 2018. Students are paid at an hourly rate of $12 (will increase to $12.65 in June). The student will complete a training period from May to July and will take on full responsibility starting in September, 2018.
- Shelving books, and assisting at the Circulation and Information Desks.
- Performing opening and closing duties.
- Searching for books in the library collection.
- Making displays of books and other materials.
- Assisting librarians and library volunteers in other tasks and projects as required.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Strong communication skills, written and oral.
- Friendly demeanour, strong work ethic, and willingness to learn.
- Customer service experience and skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a large staff and volunteer team.
- Ability to work productively and with attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong technical skills, proficient with common computer applications.
- Available to work on Saturdays through the upcoming school year.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to Nikky McCarvill, Librarian, at email@example.com. Alternately, hard copies can also be dropped at the information desk, ATTN: Nikky.
The application deadline is April 22, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Summer Library Assistant
$13 per hour, 35 hours per week
Monday to Friday 9:30-5, June 4-August 10
Salt Spring Island Public Library is hiring a summer library assistant to facilitate and promote summer children’s programs, work on the Circulation and Information Desks, and to promote the works of local authors. This includes organizing and presenting children’s summer reading programs, including a week-long summer camp and several weekly programs, interviewing local authors and writing biographies for the library website, and organizing the annual local author tea.
The Library Assistant position at the Salt Spring Island Public Library is suitable for a student who wants to gain valuable and rewarding work experience in a busy library, who likes to work with youth on summer projects and programs, and is interested in learning more about local, BC, and Canadian literary heritage.
The ideal candidate will have good English communication skills, and a strong interest in working with children and a cross-section of the public. The position requires that the candidate be able to pay attention to detail and be able to focus on task and projects. Knowledge, interest, and experience in working with children, and knowledge and interest in Canadian literature are assets. Strong computer skills and excellent interpersonal skills are required.
Women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and Aboriginal peoples are encouraged to apply.
Position is funded by Young Canada Works. Applicants must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident ages 16-30, intending to return to full-time studies in the fall.
The application deadline is April 30, 2018.
Please send applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to Attn: Librarian, Salt Spring Island Public Library, 129 McPhillips Ave, Salt Spring Island, BC, V8K 2T6.