The Salt Spring Island Public Library has an exciting opportunity for a full time Librarian at our award-winning 12,500 square foot library.
Salt Spring Island Public Library serves an active population of 10,557, with 222,300 library visits in 2018. Salt Spring residents enjoy the amenities of a city and the friendly feel of a small community. The Library is governed by a public library association board and is funded primarily through local property taxes and provincial grants. It has an operating budget of $650,000, and up to 75 volunteers in day-to-day operations.
Working under the direction of the Chief Librarian and with a staff and volunteer team, the successful candidate will assist with managing library operations and delivering library programs and services focused on youth in the vibrant community of Salt Spring.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing children’s and youth programming, including school visits, storytimes, and other activities.
- Assisting in maintaining the Library’s volunteer staff model.
- Makes applications for and administers grants to various agencies.
- Directs the hiring, training and development, performance appraisal, discipline and dismissal of student staff, in accordance with provincial and federal legislation.
- Helping to ensure that the Library maintains current library service practices and programs that are responsive to diverse community needs and priorities.
- Assisting with managing the facility, equipment, and technology.
- Working with collection committees and assisting with collection management duties.
- Master of Library Studies (MLIS) degree or equivalent education and experience.
- 1-3 years of recent experience in a public library; experience at a supervisory level is an asset.
- Experience with providing children’s and youth services.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a collaborative environment.
- Experience in training, collections, services, programs, and technology.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience with the Evergreen Library System is an asset.
- Valid Driver’s License is desirable.
This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week) position, and may include occasional evenings and/or Saturdays. The Salt Spring Island Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. Successful completion of a criminal record check is a condition of employment.
We anticipate the start date of this position to be December 16, 2019.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a covering letter and resume as a single PDF by 5:00pm on Friday November 22, 2019 to the Salt Spring Island Public Library, Subject: Librarian Application, to email@example.com. We thank all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.